Book Review Guidelines
Authors interested in preparing a review may send proposals to CJDS Reviews Editor, Jen Rinaldi (Jen.Rinaldi@uoit.ca). Please include in the email:
- An abbreviated CV,
- A brief list of interests and areas of expertise,
- A shipping address, and
- Reference information for the work to be reviewed; alternatively, the Reviews Editor can provide suggested materials suitable for review.
Authors are welcome to review books, movies, performances, events, or any combination of the possibilities listed here. CJDS is open to unconventional approaches to writing the review, and to choosing what is reviewed. Reviews should focus on current works — published or released in the last two years (and preferably as recently as possible).
Please note the following guidelines and suggestions related to content:
- Reviews should be written in language that will be accessible to a wide audience of readers.
- Reviewers should try to avoid only summarizing the work under review (though some degree of summary is needed).
- Reviewers should comment on the significance of the reviewed work to the larger world of disability studies (or specifically to Canadian disability studies).
- Reviewers should feel free to review more than one work — to compare works and put texts into conversation.
- Reviewers are encouraged to read reviews already published in CJDS.
In addition, please note the following guidelines related to format:
- Reviews must be approximately 800-2,000 words.
- All pages must be numbered in the footer, bottom-centre.
- A header must appear on every page, top-right, that includes the following information: Reviewer, Review of Abbreviated Title by Author.
- The title should be emboldened, centre-justified, and include the following information: Author, Title. Location: Publisher, Date. ISBN
- Following the title, centre-justified, include the following information: Reviewed by Reviewer’s Name, Title, Affiliation, Email Address
- Include 4-7 keywords for the book being reviewed.
- The text must be double-spaced, with 12-point Times New Roman font.
- The text must adhere to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in Author Guidelines, found on the CJDS website under About the Journal.
- Additionally, please submit a short reviewer’s bio, up to 150 words.
Please send approved or invited reviews to Jen.Rinaldi@uoit.ca as .doc files, and be sure to include the full citation of the reviewed work(s). Deadlines will be determined in consultation with the Reviews Editor.